Thursday, January 21, 2010

The disaster revealed people's true nature??

As I mentioned in my last post, 15 years ago, a huge earthquake struck the Osaka area in Japan while I was in Sydney on vacation. When I returned to work in Osaka, a coworker of mine greeted me, saying "Welcome to hell". Since I was young and my house wasn't damaged, coworkers expected the sunburned, refreshed woman to work hard.

At the time, my office was really messed up. My team members went to their urban-development project sites in the devastated area by bike in order to examine how to deal with the serious damage. To make matters worse, many workers at my company were the victims. Some of them got out of their houses that had been flattened out by the quake. Many of them didn't know where to start even though they really had to tidy up their rooms.One thing that helped me feel relieved was that all of my coworkers were alive and they didn't lose their families.

This disaster revealed people's true nature. Many coworkers were very impressed by the brave, kind actions that a manager took, partly because they had considered him unreliable before the quake. On the other hand, they were disappointed in some people who had had good reputations. Some victims at my company tried to do something to help others even though they didn't have any regular places to sleep. In contrast, some victims always asked someone to do something for them, insisting that they weren't able to do anything because they were victims. 

Everybody had their own circumstance, so I can't say who was right or wrong. However, we saw something that we hadn't found before the quake. On top of that, a few secret office love affairs were also revealed.