Monday, January 18, 2010

I found out about that disaster while I was in Sydney

15 years ago yesterday (on the 17th of January), I was at my boyfriend's house in Sydney on my holidays. He is Japanese and now my husband. When I was drinking my morning coffee at around 9 A.M., the phone rang. Since my boyfriend had already left for his office, I picked it up. It was his Australian friend who worked at a bank. He said that according to the latest world news at his office, something terrible was going on in Osaka, Japan, and perhaps a big earthquake had struck there. He strongly advised me to turn on a TV immediately, check the situation, and call my parents there.

The TV news televised places that I was supposed to be familiar with, but I hardly recognized them. The highway where I would drive nearly everyday was partly laid on its side. The familiar railway track was heaved up. The news was filled with inconceivable sights. I was numb with shock.

When my mother answered my international call, she was surprised because she had been unable to make any calls since the disaster occurred. Emotionally, she told me it was the strongest quake she had seen in her life. According to her story, the devastating quake, which struck around a quarter to six at dawn, woke my parents up. She felt as if she had been strongly lifted. My father held back a large tottering cupboard and managed to prevent it from hitting the floor. My mother tried to head for the the gas main to make sure it was turned off, but couldn't reach it because of the powerful quake.

I think that since my house was located at some distance from the earthquake epicenter, they were able to take those actions. In fact, my friend who lived in the focal region said that all she had been able to do was flap away at objects falling onto her bed. She felt as if she had been inside a washing machine. Even though the first floor of her condo was flattened out during the quake, she didn't realize when this happened, despite the fact that she was on the 5th floor. Although schools conduct earthquake response drills to educate children, many of the victims said that it was impossible to follow the instruction that they were taught when the powerful quake occurred. At the time, nobody expected such a severe earthquake to strike the Osaka area, although other places were warned as potential sites where major earthquakes could hit.

When I returned to work several days later, various unbelievable things were waiting for me.

Photo Gallery : the 1/17 earthquake happening in 1995
http://www.jiji.com/jc/d2?p=hds00101-4995608&d=004soc