Monday, September 20, 2010

A few months are long enough for that area to change

The day before yesterday, I went to Omotesando/表参道 in Tokyo, which is well-known as an area where many shops offer notable items (we often describe them using the following adjectives: designer-brand, outrageous, original, fresh, and innovative). Until then, although I sometimes passed through the area, I hadn't looked around it for more than a few months. When I was hanging out there, I could usually find something new here and there.

Up until a few years ago, the area always made me realize how many Westerners were in Tokyo because the area is popular among both Western tourists and Westerners living in Japan. In fact, when the economy wasn't that bad, many Westerners who had been transferred to Japan by their companies lived in areas near Omotesando. Before the Lehman Shock, since the Euro was very strong against the Yen, the area would be filled with European tourists. I remember that I would always hear the German language there. The day before yesterday, there weren't that many Westerners. Instead, I heard the Chinese language everywhere in the area. Before I went there, I already noticed that more and more Chinese people are visiting Japan since our government relaxed the personal tourist visa requirements for them in July. Yet the change still surprised me.

The shops and the flow of people have also changed. The main streets that used to be the highlight of the area are now fading. Instead, more side streets have become more appealing and are attracting more people. Anyway, a Snoopy Town Shop in the area made me feel very happy as always.