Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How stupid we are !

When I was around nine years old, I watched a documentary at school. It was about the atomic bomb that dropped in Hiroshima in 1945. I was so shocked that I still remember some of the scenes. I also remember that a classmate fainted from shock, and then a teacher picked her up and carried her away. Now that I think about it, the movie affected me and my basic attitude toward wars and nuclear weapons. I believe that things should be solved without the use of force and nuclear weapons should never be used.

As for nuclear weapons, I think that a lot of Japanese people are still opposed to them not only because of the atomic bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but also because of Daigo Fukuryƫ Maru accident caused by Operation Castle, which was nuclear tests carried out by the U.S. at Bikini Atoll in the 1950s. However, there was a significant change a few years ago. With the change in world power relationships, we have become more serious about our security affairs. Relating to them, the issue of whether or not Japan should own nuclear weapons to protect Japan and to let them act as a deterrent --which had been a sort of taboo until a few years ago--also started to be discussed openly ( I don't intend to discuss this issue here).

Anyway, in 1953, U.S. President Eisenhower delivered a speech titled "Atoms for Peace". At the time, Japan was suffering from a chronic energy deficiency due to the rapid economic growth and struggled to discover a solution. Under these circumstances, the Japanese government, some Japanese media and the American government started a powerful propaganda campaign for the peaceful use of nuclear power in Japan. Then, they successfully convinced the public who was opposed to atomic power. In the 1960s, the generation of electricity by nuclear power started.  Electricity generated by nuclear power helped enable Japan to maintain economic development.

Since then, nuclear reactors have increased under the slogan "nuclear power plants in Japan are safe". A lot of people have become less interested in nuclear power plants. I think that the indifference partly allowed TEPCO and the government to let it all go to their heads and underestimate the risk.