Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's been about three weeks since mother nature attacked us.

If you go to downtown Tokyo now, it'll feel like everything is normal. Only four things: people trying to raise money for the disaster-stricken areas, some places suffering from soil liquefaction, darker downtown at night and shortages of some goods will make you realize that the devastating earthquake hit Japan three weeks ago. However, if you don't know Tokyo before the disaster happened, you may not be aware of the darkness and the shortages. As a matter of fact, many people in the Tokyo area have already gotten used to the new changes, realizing how conformable and convenient their lives used to be.

Although Tokyo is seemingly normal, even people there are struggling to discover how to cheer themselves up. We've realized that Japan will be considered as a contaminated country for the next few decades. We'll be required to prove that manufactured products aren't contaminated even if they are produced in places far from Fukushima. These things will very seriously damage our economy. In the competitive global market, competitors worldwide will take advantage of the disaster. Tax increases and pay cuts are inevitable. We'll need to support the victims in the next decade at least while struggling to develop a new economic model and system. Although my house wasn't damaged by the massive quake, I can still think of endless difficulties I'll have to encounter, and then it took me more than two weeks to prepare myself for struggling with these difficulties. Que sera sera / Whatever will be, will be!

Actually, children inspire me to struggle with these difficulties. I don't know why. I don't have a child, but many children in the disaster-stricken areas on TV make me feel like I have an obligation to keep a stiff upper lip and move on. I really hope that we'll be able to transform the disaster into an opportunity to change.

As for the Fukushima nuclear power plant, we are very sorry that there is still no sign that the plant gettingunder control. I acknowledge that the plant remains in critical condition. In order to be able to protect and prepare myself, I've read various articles on radiation. Actually, I was a little shocked to learn that the normal radiation level in the air in Guangzhou, China are higher than the current radiation levels in Chiba and Tokyo since I lived in Guangzhou for two years.

According to Bloomberg, many countries have naturally occurring radiation levels that exceed Tokyo’s (Please see Link #1 below). A few days ago, cherry blossoms/sakura started blooming in Tokyo, and the controversial pandas at Ueno Zoo in Tokyo were opened to the public. The pandas came to Japan from China one and half months ago and were supposed to be opened to the public two weeks ago. They experienced massive earthquakes in both Sichuan and Tokyo. How pitiful! They started playing an important role in helping people cheer up.

Anyway, I really appreciate thoughts and concern worldwide. Many victims of another devastating earthquake - which hit Kobe 16 years ago - say that people's concern made them move on.


Link #1