Saturday, April 9, 2011

It's been about a month since the nightmare. Need somebody who can stop aftershocks.

It's been about a month since the nightmare. Although there is growing concern about the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant, even people in the most severely damaged areas have started getting back on their feet. However, mother nature is really cruel. As you may know, last night, another very powerful aftershock hit the Tohoku/東北 and Kantou/関東 areas again. During the aftershock, I was saying in my mind, "Hey, Fukushima nuclear power plant. Hold on! Please hold on" while I was pushing a bookshelf back against the wall at home in Chiba. Although we've gotten used to earthquakes because we've felt more than one thousand quakes since the devastating earthquake, that strong one reminded us of when the 3.11 earthquake hit Japan. It makes us feel shaken up and discourages us--especially the victims-- from moving on. Electricity, water and gas supply services which had just recovered in some disaster-stricken areas stopped again after the strong aftershock.

It's reported that due to the 3.11 earthquake, a sea plate about 200 kilometers from Miyagi prefecture moved about 55 meters southeast, and the range of the movement is 55 kilometers wide and 160 kilometers long. How immense nature's power is.

Anyway, as the concern about the Fukushima plant is growing, many people in the Tokyo area seem to be wondering what to do and how to protect themselves amid a flurry of speculation on the internet. A lot of people are skeptical about the information from both TEPCO and the government. I'm amazed at their inability to deliver reliable information. Their ineptness fuels anxiety and anger. I understand that Tepco is in a tumble since they are required to recover not only the nuclear power plant but also countless other their facilities damaged by the massive earthquake and tsunami. However, every time I see TEPCO making an announcement at a press conference, I realize that TEPCO is a monopoly and their culture is outdated and bureaucratic.

In Japan, unpredictable things have happened and will surely continue to happen. Even I've noticed some diplomatic games related to the disaster. Under these circumstances, I feel like I have no choice but to struggle to survive based on my decisions while trying to enjoy my life. I really appreciate thoughts, supports and donations worldwide. They can't help but make me wonder if I'd pay enough attention to people worldwide who really need help.